Monday, January 21, 2013

Search for "MY" perfect chocolate chip cookie

By Juanita

So I have been hunting for the perfect chocolate chip cookie (CCC) for some time now. I decided to try a Levain Bakery copycat recipe because from the pictures its looks like heaven. Thick, chewy, crunchy, and gooey yum yum. I researched all the copycats I could find and did a little tweaking to the one i chose which came from cookieash.blogspot.com I only made a half batch so i halved everything except the nuts and chocolate chips because I always add more. I also added 1/2 T of cornstarch.and this is what i got:





First we start with the usual suspects


Standard creaming method


The hardest part for me is trying not to over mix. If I see chunks of butter i want it smooth but i restrained myself. Also the recipe called for cold butter so I knew it was not going to cream like other recipes.


The dough got thick so when I added the nuts and chips I just used my hands to mix just till incorporated.

When i formed the balls I grabbed a chunk and placed it on the sheet. No rolling in a ball or smushing.



I then put these in the fridge and preheated my oven. In my research I found that putting them in the fridge makes them gooey in the middle so they were in there about 15 mins. 


YUM

OH MY


MINE

 




Levain Chocolate Chip Cookie Clone

2 sticks unsalted butter, cold

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar(i used dark brown)

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups all purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

12 ounces (2 cups) good quality semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts) (I used walnuts)


If using dough right away, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars just until creamy. Don’t overbeat. Add the egg and vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. When thoroughly mixed, add to batter and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Divide dough into 12 big 4 oz lumps. Bake on ungreased cookies sheets (one sheet at a time).
Bake times:
Put the cookies in a 375 degree oven and set timer for 8 minutes. When timer rings, without opening oven or removing cookies, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until cookies appear set.



VERDICT...

Delish :) My only complaint is that it has a little to much of a buttery taste that reminded me of those danish butter cookies in the blue tin you get for christmas. And I should have toasted the nuts before hand but thats my fault. But it was big, gooey, crispy, golden goodness. I would totally make this again. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Give it a try, until next time guys stay sweet.


Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

No comments:

Post a Comment